What is Bike Insurance ?
Checkout the latest information about the Bike insurance, Top Bike insurance companies and factors to consider before buying the bike insurance.
Bike insurance, also known as two-wheeler insurance or motorcycle insurance, is a type of insurance policy that provides financial protection to the owner of a motorbike or scooter against various risks and losses. It is a legal requirement in India under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, for all motorized two-wheelers to have at least a basic form of insurance coverage before they can be ridden on public roads.
There are two main types of coverage offered by bike insurance policies:
- Third-Party Liability Coverage: This type of coverage provides protection against legal liabilities arising from third-party damages caused by your bike. It includes injuries, death, or property damage caused to other individuals or vehicles due to an accident involving your bike. Third-party liability coverage is mandatory by law in India and helps you fulfill your legal obligations.
- Comprehensive Coverage (Own-Damage + Third-Party): Comprehensive bike insurance extends beyond third-party liability coverage. It includes coverage for damages to your own bike due to accidents, theft, fire, vandalism, natural disasters, and other perils. Additionally, comprehensive coverage may include personal accident coverage for the owner-rider, covering medical expenses in case of accidents resulting in bodily injury.
In addition to these basic coverages, bike insurance policies often offer optional add-ons that allow policyholders to customize their coverage based on their needs. Some common add-ons include:
- Zero Depreciation Cover: This add-on ensures that you receive the full cost of repairing/replacing damaged bike parts without accounting for depreciation.
- Engine Protection: This covers damages to the bike’s engine and its parts due to water ingression or oil leakage.
- Roadside Assistance: This provides services like towing, fuel delivery, and minor repairs in case your bike breaks down.
- Personal Accident Cover for Pillion Rider: Extends personal accident coverage to pillion riders as well.
- Consumables Cover: Covers the cost of consumable items like oil, nuts, bolts, etc., that are not usually covered under standard policies.
To buy bike insurance, you can choose from various insurance companies in India. The premium you pay for the insurance is determined by factors like the type of coverage, the bike’s make and model, its age, the location where it’s registered, and your personal details.
Having bike insurance not only fulfills a legal requirement but also provides financial security in case of accidents or damages. It’s important to compare different policies, understand the coverage offered, and choose the one that best suits your needs and budget.
Top Bike insurance companies in india
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance: ICICI Lombard is one of the largest private sector general insurance companies in India. They offer comprehensive two-wheeler insurance policies that cover third-party liability and own-damage. Their policies also include personal accident coverage for the owner-driver. They have a wide network of network garages for cashless claim settlement and a user-friendly online platform for policy management.
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance: HDFC ERGO is a prominent player in the insurance sector. Their bike insurance policies offer comprehensive coverage, including protection against third-party liability and own-damage. They provide optional add-ons for enhanced coverage, such as zero depreciation cover and roadside assistance. The policies come with a personal accident cover for the insured owner.
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance: Bajaj Allianz is known for its customer-centric approach. Their two-wheeler insurance policies provide coverage against accidental damage, theft, and third-party liability. They offer a range of add-on covers, including coverage for pillion riders, engine protection, and key replacement.
- United India Insurance: United India Insurance is a government-owned insurer with a strong presence in the market. They offer cost-effective bike insurance policies that cover third-party liability and own-damage. They often provide discounts for members of recognized automobile associations.
- New India Assurance: New India Assurance, another government-owned insurer, offers comprehensive bike insurance policies that cover third-party liability and own-damage. They provide a wide network of offices and a strong reputation for claim settlement.
- Reliance General Insurance: Reliance General Insurance offers comprehensive two-wheeler insurance policies that cover accidental damage, theft, and third-party liability. They provide a variety of add-ons to customize your policy.
- TATA AIG General Insurance: TATA AIG offers two-wheeler insurance policies with coverage for third-party liability, own-damage, and personal accident. They provide a range of optional add-ons to enhance coverage.
- National Insurance Company: National Insurance Company is a government-owned insurer that offers bike insurance policies with comprehensive coverage. They provide personal accident coverage for the owner-driver as well as third-party liability and own-damage coverage.
- SBI General Insurance: SBI General Insurance is a trusted name in the insurance sector. They offer comprehensive bike insurance policies that cover third-party liability, own-damage, and personal accident coverage. They provide a range of add-on covers for customization.
- IFFCO Tokio General Insurance: IFFCO Tokio offers two-wheeler insurance policies with comprehensive coverage against third-party liability, own-damage, and personal accident. They offer a variety of add-on covers for extra protection.
When choosing an insurance company, consider the coverage, claim settlement process, network garages, customer service, and optional add-ons that best suit your needs. Additionally, always verify the latest information and reviews to make an informed decision.
Factors to consider before buying a bike insurance policy
Buying a bike insurance policy in India is an important decision to ensure financial protection against various risks associated with owning a two-wheeler. There are several factors you should consider before purchasing a bike insurance policy. Here’s a comprehensive guide with full information:
- Type of Insurance:
- Third-Party Liability Insurance: Mandatory by law, it covers damages to third parties involved in an accident caused by your bike.
- Comprehensive Insurance: Covers both third-party liability and damages to your own bike due to accidents, theft, natural disasters, and more.
- Coverage Inclusions:
- Check what exactly is covered under the policy, including accidental damages, theft, fire, natural calamities, riots, strikes, and more.
- For comprehensive policies, ensure it covers personal accident coverage for the rider.
- Coverage Exclusions:
- Understand what is not covered, such as regular wear and tear, mechanical breakdowns, drunken driving, and intentional damage.
- Insured Declared Value (IDV):
- The IDV represents the current market value of your bike. Choose a policy with an appropriate IDV to ensure proper compensation in case of a total loss.
- Premium Costs:
- Compare premiums from different insurers. Factors affecting premiums include the bike’s make, model, age, engine capacity, location, and your personal details.
- No Claim Bonus (NCB):
- Check if the policy offers NCB for claim-free years. This can lead to significant premium discounts upon renewal.
- Add-On Covers:
- Evaluate additional covers like zero depreciation, roadside assistance, engine protection, consumable cover, etc., and choose those that align with your needs.
- Insurer’s Reputation:
- Opt for a reputable insurance company with a good claims settlement record and a strong presence in the market.
- Network of Garages:
- Check the insurer’s tie-ups with network garages for cashless claim settlement. A wide network ensures convenience during repairs.
- Claim Process:
- Understand the claim filing process, documentation required, and the ease of filing claims. Quick and hassle-free claim settlement is crucial.
- Customer Support:
- Read reviews or get recommendations about the insurer’s customer service quality and responsiveness.
- Policy Renewal Process:
- Check the ease of renewing the policy online or offline. Timely renewal is essential to avoid lapses in coverage.
- Terms and Conditions:
- Carefully read and understand the policy’s terms, conditions, and clauses before making a decision.
- Online vs. Offline Purchase:
- Decide whether you want to purchase the policy online or through an agent. Online purchases might offer cost savings.
- Policy Duration:
- Choose the policy duration (typically one year) that suits your needs.
- Personal Requirements:
- Assess your personal needs, usage patterns, and location to determine the level of coverage you need.
- Comparative Analysis:
- Utilize online comparison tools to compare policies from various insurers based on coverage, premiums, and features.
Remember that bike insurance is a legal requirement in India, so make an informed choice based on your bike’s value, your usage, and your budget. It’s recommended to review and compare policies annually to ensure you’re getting the best coverage at a competitive price.
This is the full information about the bike insurance. If you have any doubts, please let us know.